I Am Beautiful Essay Contest
Due to popular request, the Essay Contest deadline has been extended until August 30, 2014
Essay Contest Information and Guidelines
Contest guidelines and entry requirements are listed below. Enter to win and tell the world about living life beautiful.
Contest dates: October 3, 2013 through August 30, 2014 at midnight EST
Contestant Age Requirements
The contest is open to all girls, pre-teens and teens of color in the following age groups: Girls and Pre-teens (10-12) and Teens (13-17).
Contest Entry Requirements
- An essay that meets the requirements for the “I Am Beautiful” Essay Contest (see essay requirements below)
- A color photograph of the contestant taken in 2013/2014 (See photograph guidelines below)
- Electronic Contestant Entry. Send entries to email@example.com
- This offer is void where prohibited by law.
- I Am Beautiful and/or The Intraracial Colorism Project, Inc. are not responsible for lost or misdirected entries.
- Contestants, parents and/or legal guardians authorize I Am Beautiful and The Intraracial Colorism Project, Inc. to distribute essays and images for commercial and non-commercial purposes, including but not limited to educational and news purposes, media, print, digital, online services for their use; and retain copyright to these photos, the above agreed to permissions notwithstanding.
- All entries (Essay, color photograph and Contestant Entry Form completed online) must be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 30, 2014. Entries e-mailed after August 30, 2014 will not be considered.
- Winners will be announced on The Dynamics of Colorism Talk Radio show.
- Photographs and winning essays will be posted on the website of I Am Beautiful.
Essays must include all of the following criteria:
1. Essays must be written by the contestant without any help from parents, legal guardians and/or others.
2. Word count varies by age group. Please note the following:
- a. Word count ages 10-12 1000 words
- b. Word count ages 13-17 2000 words
- 3. Format: All entries must be double spaced and printed or typed
Submissions: Submit entries: email@example.com
Contestants must respond to all of the following:
1. Explain how you demonstrate self-love, self-respect, self-esteem and self-pride in
2. Explain why your skin color is beautiful.
3. Why are you BEAUTIFUL on the inside and outside? Use the following key words to describe yourself:
- Submit one original, 5 x 7 color photograph. Photographs must show the contestant only.
- Previously published photos or parts thereof, are not eligible.
- Photographs must be labeled. On the reverse side of the photo include contestant’s name, address, date of birth, telephone number and e-mail address.
- Judges will make selections based on responses to essay criteria, quality, composition, content, originality, uniqueness, and creativity. Judges’ decisions are final and in their sole and absolute discretion.
Winning essays and photographs will be announced on The Dynamics of Colorism Talk Radio, published in the Journal of Colorism Studies, published on the I Am Beautiful website, and winners will be invited to appear on the Dynamics of Colorism Talk Radio to read their essay and talk about being BEAUTIFUL.
Grand Prize Winner from each age group
One winner from each of the following groups: Girls and Pre-teens (10-12) and Teens (13-17).
- $50.00 Gift Card
- Guest appearance on The Dynamics of Colorism Talk Radio to read your essay and discuss being beautiful
- Name, essay and photograph posted on website of I Am Beautiful-ICP
- Purple Ear Bud
Second Prize Winner from each age group:
- iPad Shuffle
- Purple Ear Bud
Third Prize Winner from each age group:
- $25 Gift Card
- Purple Ear Bud